09 August, 2012

Coconut Cookies

Coconut Cookies with Whole Wheat Flour


For this month's blog hop, I'm paired with Vidhya, who blogs at Sugar Spice and Everything Nice. Her blog has a huge collection of recipes to try from and I had bookmarked a few recipes long back from her blog. I couldn't try out the bookmarked recipes, as I was short on time. I searched for a quick recipe and I baked these cookies, the next day, after I got the schedule for blog hop but got time to write only today.

 Coconut Cookies with all purpose flour

I just loved these cookies. I have wanted to try coconut cookies for a while now since my husband is a huge coconut fan. He loves Coconut Macroons but since I turned vegan, I have been looking for an alternative, so I too can enjoy them. These cookies are so easy and quick that even though running short on time I baked two batches- one with all purpose flour and one with whole wheat flour. I baked two batches coz I kept munching on them as soon as they cooled down and my husband too kept asking for more. I was not going to have enough cookies to take pictures, so I started out to bake them again and used whole wheat flour.

My husband surprisingly liked the one with whole wheat flour better. He couldn't really tell what the difference was but he preferred the one with whole wheat flour. I do not know if it is the flour that made the difference or the way I rolled the cookies. The one with all purpose flour were rolled thin compared to the ones with whole wheat flour. Anyways, conclusion is I'll be using whole wheat flour to bake these again and I will not roll them too thin. I'm glad I tried these; I love how easily I can get homemade cookies in no time.

 Coconut Cookies with all purpose flour

Recipe Adapted from: Sugar n Spice

Preparation time: 3 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12-14 cookies of the size shown in the pictures

Ingredients:
  • ¾ cup + 2tbsp Whole wheat flour
  • ¼ cup Sugar
  • 6 tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • ½ cup Dry coconut (shredded or powdered)
  • 1tsp Cardamom powder
Procedure:

1. Preheat the Oven to 180 degree Celsius and grease a baking tray. Take flour and sugar in a bowl.


2. Add dried coconut and cardamom powder to it.


3. Add vegetable oil to it.


4. Knead it till it comes together like dough. It just sticks together when you apply pressure but will crumble otherwise.


5. Divide it into equal portions. Shape them with your hands and bake for 15 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.


6. Let them cool a bit before you touch them, as they are soft right out of the oven. It will be crunchy once it cools down. 

Coconut Cookies with Whole Wheat Flour
Notes:  
1. Original recipe uses all purpose flour and butter which I have replaced by whole wheat flour and vegetable oil to make it healthier and of course vegan. Any flavorless oil will work well.
2. You can replace cardamom powder with vanilla essence. I simply love cardamom and would recommend it over vanilla as cardamom compliments the coconut flavor very well.

Health and Nutrition:
  • Coconut is highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is classified as a "functional food" because it provides many health benefits beyond its nutritional content. 50 percent of the fatty acids in coconut come from lauric acid, which is antiviral and antibacterial and is extremely beneficial in fighting off infection. The healthy fat in coconut slows down any rise in blood sugar and helps to reduce hypoglycemic cravings. Coconut is an excellent source of manganese, and contains 60 percent of the recommended daily intake of that mineral. It is also contains 11 percent of the recommended intake for iron, 9 percent of phosphorus and 8 percent of potassium. There are trace amounts of other nutrients in coconut, including zinc, calcium and magnesium.
  • Whole-wheat flour is robust, full-flavoured flour containing vitamins, minerals and protein. Whole-wheat flour is more nutritious than refined white flour, although white flour may, in a process called food fortification, have some micronutrients lost in processing added back to the white flour (required by law in some jurisdictions). Fortified white wheat flour does not, however, contain the macronutrients of the wheat's bran and germ (especially fibre and protein) like whole-wheat flour does. Whole wheat is a good source of calcium, iron, fibre, and other minerals like selenium.
  • Cardamom is a good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. It is also an excellent source of manganese and iron. Manganese is a co-factor for the enzyme superoxide dismutase, which is a very powerful free radical scavenger. Iron is required for red blood cell formation. This exotic spice contains many plant derived chemical compounds that are known to have anti-oxidant, disease preventing and health promoting properties.
Blog hop

67 comments:

  1. Oh this looks very yummy and a must try! My elder daughter loves coconut in any which way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your daughter would love it... :)

      Delete
  2. Now that is a very simple & easy recipe for coconut cookies ... no baking powder, no vanilla! It's been some time since I made some. These days just trying to perfect eggless chocolate chip cookies :D

    The pictures are really nice, Anisha, and that's a lot of coconuts in your house (#3)!! :D :P :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you've perfected the eggless chocolte chip cookies... I'm waiting for the recipe to try... I live in the land of coconuts... we get sooo much coconut from our farm that we have to sell it as we can't use them all... :)

      Delete
  3. Cookies look tempting love the alteration you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton to ur mom for such a simple recipe... This has become a frequent cookie that I bake these days... :)

      Delete
  4. Love these cookies.. I can smell the aroma :) Well prepared and really brilliant clicks!!
    Viral Meen Kulambu
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and crunchy...

    I have an award waiting for you on my blog... please collect it at your convenience...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and crisp cookies..coconut cookies and chocolates are my favorite:)loved the cute and beautiful clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cant write that I would bake this as my OTG isnot working and I need to buy a new one asap. we love coconuts in cookies too and even try to add them in our jeera biscuits as well. wonderful clicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You try this when u get your Oven fixed... I need to check out your blog for the jeera biscuits... :)

      Delete
  8. coconut cookies are my fav n this sounds so delicious n tempting...loved your clicks n presentation!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow... cookies look delicious and crunchy... and the presentation on coconut shells in simply fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum!the coconut cookies look awesome........and your photographs are really good!going to try these out as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simran... I'm sure you'll love these.. :)

      Delete
  11. oh my yummy !!! i too love coconut cookies simply because of the flavor and yeah nothing can compliment coconut that cardamom ...they behave like best friends you know ....very good tempting pics will try this soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey just was curious ...what's blog hop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can read about blog hop here http://www.ticklingpalates.com/2011/12/announcing-blog-hop-wednesdays-version.html

      Delete
  13. anisha.. thi slooks soooo good... i love the whole combination... cardamom coconuts.. oru naadan touch...i am definitely trying this... i already have dried cocnut.. so pucca pucca...
    and i llllloooovvveeee ur pics:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renu... I'm guessing you must have tried and enjoyed it by now.. :)

      Delete
  14. Nice presentation dear..yummyflavorful cokies..me love coconut in any form,So sure will love this!!

    Ongoing Events of EP Series-Curry Leaves/Red Chillies @ Spicy Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy and yummy cookies... am bookmarking this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  16. Perfectly baked cookies.. Very interesting presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely coconut cookies!!..and great clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very south indian flavoured cookies!!have to try them now :) i like the snap with the coconut peeking into the cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite pic too... I just love to look at the different faces the coconuts have... :)

      Delete
  19. this is nice n simple lets try it.. n awesome pics n concept dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear... let me know after u try it... :)

      Delete
  20. Love the way you have presented cocnut cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow...looks sooo tempting & very very yummm
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds new... Looks delicious.. First time on your space... Happy to follow you :)


    Todays Recipe Jackfruit Halwa

    Inviting you to join my on-going event Onam Sadhya ~ The Grand Feast

    Cheers,
    Sharanya.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful looking cookies. Can't wait to dip a few in a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your lovely words at my space...These cookies look delicious and loved the addition of cardamom...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely delicious looking cookies and beautiful presentation. Loved your space with the amazing collection of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Honestly I had been eyeing these beauties though I dint comment! I love cookies and coconut and this is a perfect combo!! Lovely vegan recipe and pictures, Anisha!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOOW NICE COOKIES ....good clicks

    www.cookingatmayflower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. would using shredded coconut be different from using powdered? im just afraid it will burn in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shredded dry coconut would be just fine...

      Delete
  29. They look so perfect. Beautifully done:)Yummy indeed :)
    Come and participate at my event and giveaway and awards:)
    http://merrytummy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/event-annoucement-and-giveaway-cook.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u Shweta... I'm sorry I cudn't catch up with ur event.

      Delete
  30. this looks so crunchy!! so glad to have come across ur page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello,

    We love your recipes, they are so yummy. Would be delighted if you can share your recipes with us at http://ipinrecipes.com/ A Community for food bloggers and food lovers. Simply register your food blog with us and start pinning your recipes directly from your blog. No need to crop or edit your images and your recipes will be published immediately without any editorial review. With ipinrecipes.com you can not only pin your recipes, but you can repin, like others recipes and can create food category boards.
    So why to wait, Join ipinrecipes.com and start Pinning your amazing recipes.

    Happy Pinning!!!

    Regards
    iPinRecipes Team

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks great ..wil definately try this...

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...