01 July, 2012

Mango Cake flavoured with Cardamom



I have rarely used fruits for cooking or baking. I enjoy whole fruit; I don't need it disguised in any form to have it. Unlike me, my husband runs in the opposite direction of fresh fruits, it's something about the texture of certain fruits that he avoids them completely. He can have tons of raw mango and screw up his stomach but can never eat ripe ones. I was not sure if he would even agree to taste the cake but surprisingly enough he liked it a lot. Though he added, he still prefers Vanilla Cake over everything else.


I wanted to bake these as cup cakes for the giveaway at Spusht. I wasn't really eligible to get the giveaway but the event itself was a motivation for me to bake cupcakes. I baked cup cakes but couldn't take the pictures due to heavy rainfall, which kind of wets my whole open air studio. Though I was optimistic to keep some cupcakes for photography, I couldn't coz they are so addictive. I thought I can always bake another batch for the blog. Since then thrice I pureed mangoes to start baking and ended up eating the puree due to frequent power cuts. Rain and no electricity are not good for blogging but it does help to get a better recipe and look what I came up with - luscious tropical dessert- Mango puree topped with fresh coconut cream and choco chips. It's pure guilt free indulgence as long as you don't add any sweetener. :)  


The recipe I tried the first time gave a very dense cake. I was considering naming it Mango brownie cupcakes; they were the texture of a dense, moist brownie. Every time I was getting ready to bake, I kept thinking of how to make it light and airy like a cake that has eggs. I guess it's the third time it struck me; I don't need to think too hard. I already have a perfect eggless cake recipe-The pineapple upside down cake. So now I have a light and airy Vegan Mango Cake and a quick mango dessert that I regularly indulge in these days.


Inspired by: Pineapple upside down cake and Eggless Mango Cake

Serves 10-15
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients I used:
  • 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1tsp Baking Powder
  • 1tsp Baking Soda
  • 1tsp Cardamom Powder(refer notes)
  • 1½ cups Sugar (refer notes)
  • ½ tsp Vanilla essence
  • ½ cup Vegetable Oil
  • 3 medium sized Mangoes(1½ cups Puree)
  • 1cup Aerated water 
Procedure:

1. Grease the baking dish/bundt pan or grease and line the muffin cups or do both like I did. Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.

2. Peel, chop and puree the mangoes. 


3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cardamom powder twice or thrice for aeration and even mixing. Keep it aside.


4. In a large mixing bowl add oil, sugar, mango puree and vanilla essence. Mix well, till the sugar starts to dissolve.


5. Add ½ cup flour followed by ¼ cup aerated water and mix well. Continue this till all the flour and aerated water is used up.


6. Pour the batter to fill half of the baking dish or muffin cups. Bake at 180 degree Celsius, 40 minutes in a baking dish/bundt pan and 25 minutes for cupcakes or till a tooth pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let it cool for 20 minutes before unmolding.


7. It tastes best the next day after all the flavours have developed. It taste great on its own but you can serve with some fresh sweetened coconut cream to make it even more exotic.

 
Notes:

1. You can use 16 pods of whole cardamom, take the seeds and grind it with the sugar you will be using. It is easier and faster than using a mortar and pestal.
2. The amount of sugar will vary a lot depending on the sweetness of the mangoes you are using. The mangoes I used weren't very sweet and kind of had a little tartness in them. You can start with ¾th cup of sugar and increase it if needed. It would be best to use Alphonso mangoes.
3. After 20 minutes the tooth pick did not come out clean in the cupcakes, I increased the baking time to 10 minutes more and left it unmonitored while I went out to pick the wild flowers (texadaises) for the photographs. When I returned the cupcakes had burnt, so be careful when you put your cake back in. The best idea is to increase the time by 5 minutes.
4. I found this useful piece of information from Pinterest.

Photo Credit: KellyNeil.com

So now you know how to bake perfect cupcakes... huh... :)

Health and Nutrition: 
  • This cake is healthier than the regular cakes as it uses whole wheat flour and vegetable oil instead of white flour and butter.  
  • Mangoes have powerful antioxidant and anticancer properties. Mango is believed to be effective in relieving clogged pores of the skin. The vitamin A (beta-carotene), vitamin E and selenium present in mangoes provide protection against heart disease. The anti-inflammatory properties of mango might help alleviate asthma symptoms. 
  • Cardamom is a good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. It is also an excellent source of manganese and iron. Manganese is a co-factor for the enzyme superoxide dismutase, which is a very powerful free radical scavenger. Iron is required for red blood cell formation. This exotic spice contains many plant derived chemical compounds that are known to have anti-oxidant, disease preventing and health promoting properties.
Linking this to

Bakfest hosted by Pumpkin farm


I love baking started by Tickling Palates
Only Vegan hosted at Cooks Joy

63 comments:

  1. Hi Anisha the cake looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely and perfectly baked..loved the tips..now I am also tempted to try this mango cake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try... it's delicious!

      Delete
  3. The cake looks so inviting and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. anisha.. cake looks lovely.. want to know something.. when u said whole wheat flour.. did u use atta or the whole wheat flour which specialy coems for baking????
    Enjoying teh rains alle??missing teh rains here in this marubhoomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renu... I use the whole wheat flour we use to make chappati. I don't get anything else here but as far as I understand using whole wheat pastry flour is better for baking.

      LoL...Really enjoying the rains here... I love Kerala best during the rains... only the frequent power cuts is what I complain about.

      Delete
  5. yummy n inviting cake.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome looking cake...love the fact that it is eggless, butterless and the highlight is the wholewheat flour...definitely a healthy option

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kaveri the best part is that it's nutritionally richer n lesser calories so we can indulge guilt free...

      Delete
  7. Wat a prefectly baked cake, looks absolutely stunning and incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes it is spongy even though it's eggless.

      Delete
  9. Oh it looks delicious! I want one! can you send me a mango cake by post to Nepal? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marco I would love to send it to you... :)

      Delete
  10. Awww darlin, so this is what you were going to send! So sorry your cupcakes burnt... next time don't go out picking flowers or for doing grocery or for anything while baking!!! Hehe :P By the way, I think I read a tip somewhere that for the top to not get burnt, covering the pan/mould/cup with aluminum foil & then baking helps.

    Loving it how you used similar base recipe as your pineapple cake. This is what I always say. Knowing one basic recipe opens up possibilities to so many combinations!

    I haven't baked with fruits either so far (except Banana Muffins), though I have been planning since forever to make Strawberry Crumble, Apple Crumble, Blueberry Muffins, Mango Cheesecake... list is endless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip... should try it some time.

      I know... I too have so many bookmarked recipes but I never really have left over fruit to even think of using it for cooking... I just eat them as soon as I get them...

      Delete
  11. cake looks really spongy and moist

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious looking cake Anisha.I too posted a version recently.

    Tickling Palates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Radhika... I'm so happy to see your comment here :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Anisha ,

    Neat and clear step by step pictorial demonstration!!!

    very good presentation Anisha:))))

    No Way :)))

    Looks AAAAwesome!!!

    Keep on Anisha Dear....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very moist n delicious looking cake...thanks for sharing the tip :) lovely clicks as always!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey I need to try this version of mango cake, healthy option for kids too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should totally try this... it's healthier and yummy too..

      Delete
  16. yummy.... the cake is looking soooo good. i have to try now this version as well as anamika's version. is there any substitute for aerated water.... like can i use sparkling white wine instead ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dassana... sprakling white wine should make this even more exotic. :)

      I will checkout Anamikas cake..

      Delete
  17. Oh I can look at this for hours together! Such amazing photographs!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks very tempting!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Az... it tastes great too...

      Delete
  19. nice blog checkout my latest blog on

    http://www.togetherfornature.blogspot.com

    feel free to leave a comment

    ReplyDelete
  20. new here.. was amazed to see your collection.. you have a nice space.. do stop by mine sometime.. glad to follow you dear :)

    http://jopreet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much... I'll check out your blog right away!

      Delete
  21. wow, the cake looks fabulous dear :) so moist n soft..so clear in the pics :) loved using wheat flour too !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for finally writing about > "Mango Cake flavoured with Cardamom" < Loved it!\nHere is my weblog ; Tao of Badass Review

    ReplyDelete
  23. thats a nice flavor-ful cake.lovely clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely combination of flavors in a perfectly baked cake..Looks so yummy.. Love the clicks..
    Divya's Culinary Journey
    Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN
    Bake along challenge # 4 - Peanut Butter

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi about the pin interest cupcake tip, i usually preheat the oven and then when i get a peep i set my cupcakes inside and just press 25 minutes. Am i doing it right??? Should i again set 350 deg and then set the time??? like in the tip i guess i need to preheat 350 and then again press 325 and bake right??? I am a new baker pls help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed it right preheat to 350 and then reduce to 325 and then set the time...

      Delete
  26. It's funny I came across this cake recipe today, because I just made a mango, pina-colada, pineapple upside down cake and my friends thought I was crazy for combining those ingredients. It came out well, but next time I will try using wheat flour and aereated water to get a lighter consistency like your cake. What type of mangoes did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting combination of flavours that you used... I would like to give it a try next mango season...or atleast I can try the pinapple upside down cake with pinacolada... I really don't know the name of these mangoes but I would recommend using alphonso mangoes... that would just make this cake taste even better... :)

      Delete
  27. i wanted to know how to bake a cake or cupcake without an oven as i don't have one? could u please tell me how to bake and the timing to be set?
    thanking u
    foram haria
    charia171@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...