11 May, 2012

Ginger Spiced Almond Milk Sweetened With Dates


Alright I know it's getting very monotonous with a lot of almond posts. Truth is I discovered so much about almonds in the past few weeks that I couldn't resist to share all the info with you guys. I'm posting this specially for Amazing Almonds event at one of my favourite blogs The Yogi  Vegetarian. 




I saw this on Princy's Blog Spicy Food; check out her space, she has some really creative recipes. While checking her blog, my idea of Almond milk was cow's milk flavoured with almonds, saffron and cardamom, like some of you posted in the comments. This was refreshingly a different take on Almond milk and I bookmarked it to try later. Like most recipes, I forgot about this one too but when I turned Vegan and started to look for alternatives, I discovered almond milk in a different light.

By now, I've made almond milk quite a lot of times and this is the first flavour I tried with Almond milk and I totally love the spike ginger gives to it.

It's no fuss, easy drink if you have almond milk at hand. If not follow Princy's method of directly using blanched almonds.

Serves: 3
Preparation Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:                                 
  • 3 cups Almond Milk
  • 6-8 Pitted Dates 
  • 2 inch piece Ginger
Procedure:

1. Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend for 2-3 minutes.


 2. Sieve the blended milk.


 3. Mix well before serving.



Notes:
1. The measurement of ginger and dates can be easily altered to suit your taste.

Health and Nutrition:
  • Almond milk is one of the most nutritionally valuable milk substitutes available today. It is high in a number of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, iron, fibre, zinc and calcium. Almond milk is low in calories, at only 40 calories per eight ounce serving, and low in fat. It contains only three grams of fat per eight ounce serving. Almond milk is lactose, gluten, casein and cholesterol free; it's also free of saturated fats. 
  • Ginger has been in use since ancient times for its anti-inflammatory, carminative, anti-flatulent, and anti-microbial properties. The root contains many health benefiting essential oils such as gingerol, zingerone, shogaol, farnesene and small amounts of β-phelladrene, cineol, and citral. Gingerols help improve the intestinal motility and has anti-inflammatory, painkiller (analgesic), nerve soothing, anti-pyretic as well as anti-bacterial properties.
  • Dates are rich in fibres. They contain calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium. Dates help in fighting constipation and intestinal disorders.

26 comments:

  1. this will be so energizing!! i can just feel it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, very new spiced milk for me, specially sweetened with dates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a superb flavorful drink,yummy n healthy!!
    You can link this to my event..EP Series -Ginger or Pepper corns,the link is below
    Join me in the ONGOING EVENTS-"Ginger OR Pepper Corns/powder(EP Series-May) ,
    Show me Your HITS 'Iron Rich Foods'
    ERIVUM PULIYUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. super healthy n refreshing drink...love the addition of ginger...will try it for sure!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it .. Adding dates to it , is certainly new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  6. very refreshing drink..lovely clicks!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy and delicious drink... Beautiful clicks... Adding dates and ginger would have given a wonderful flavour to it...
    My first blog event: Guest Quest
    Amina Creations

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice drink.........lovely flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow....superb....loved the addition oif ginger........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very healthy one and I like the ginger flavor..

    ReplyDelete
  11. superb drink dear :) so healthy and yummilicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never come across a drink with almond and ginger combo. Looks so healthy and nutritious. beautiful presentation as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flavourful and healthy milk..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Healthy and quite an energy booster, love that ginger touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds so tasty! I have never tried almond milk before, but I think it's time I did. Could you use normal milk, or are the flavors too different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes great. The flavours are very different from the one with normal milk. But I guess there is no harm in trying.

      Delete
  16. First time at ur space,.thisone looks delicious,..

    ReplyDelete
  17. totally love this.. and the ginger flavour.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this flavorful n healthy drink...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Healthy and yummy drink...Thanks for your lovely comment in my blog..
    Happy to follow u...

    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice addition of ginger to almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anisha, this is so healthy....totally love the subtle flavour of ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds wonderful! I bet the ginger was a really delicious addition.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...