30 May, 2012

Basic Whole Wheat Bread (Vegan)


This was the first bread recipe I ever followed and since then I have baked this bread a lot of times. It was a white bread recipe I just used wheat flour instead. I did not use any extra gluten as I don't have it and don't think it's easily available here. I was surprised to find that it worked without the gluten. I have an endless list of bookmarked bread recipes but I just keeping baking this one over and over again coz it uses just basic stuff which I always have in my pantry.


I do bake white bread with this once in a while; unlike me most of my family and friends prefer unhealthy food. If you want to indulge once in a while feel free to use refined bread flour or maida and you will get double the size of this wheat bread.


Makes 2 loaves

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 2 hours aprox
Baking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients I used:
  • 4 cups + 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/4 cup Sugar (optional)
  • 1 cup Almond milk
  • 1 cup Warm water
  • 2tsp Active dried yeast
  • 1tsp salt
  • 3tbsp Vegetable oil or Ghee ( I used Dalda)

Procedure:

1. Take the warm water in a large mixing bowl, add sugar if using and sprinkle yeast over it.


2. Let it sit for 5-7 minutes or till the yeast starts to become frothy.


3. Add 2 cups of flour and mix. I used the hand blender with the dough hook at lowest speed. Add the vegetable oil or ghee and salt.


4. Add almond milk and keep mixing at the lowest speed.


5. Now add 1cup of flour at a time until you use up all 4 cups of flour to form dough.


6. Finally use extra flour to keep the dough from sticking onto your hand and knead for 3-4 minutes to form a smooth ball. Divide the dough into half. Place each half in a lightly oiled bowl to keep it from sticking and cover with a clean damp kitchen towel or cling wrap.

Half of the dough
7. I keep one half away in the refrigerator to bake the next day. Let it sit on the counter until it doubles in size. It would take about 45 minutes to one hour depending on the weather in your area.


8. After it has doubles in size, punch it down and divide it into three.


9. Place three smooth balls in a greased bread pan.


 10. Cover it and let it double in size. It should be done in 45minutes to one hour.



11. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake the bread for 40 minutes. Enjoy the smell of the freshly baked bread, it's divine. Let it cool for 10 minutes and take out the perfect loaf of bread. Use a serrated knife to slice the bread to get perfect slices.


12. Enjoy with some homemade peanut butter.



Notes:
1. I use almond milk but any milk you like can be used.
2. Vegetable Ghee or Dalda is not recommended as it is hydrogenated oil and not good for health. Use vegetable oil instead.I mentioned it coz that's what  used while I was baking it initially, and the picture shows Dalda.
3. If you are refrigerating the dough overnight, make sure you keep it out, to bring it to room temperature and then follow from step 9.
4. Step 9 is totally optional but I just love to see the loaf like that.
5. Adding sugar is optional. I initially baked the bread with just a tbsp of sugar but coz my husband prefers it sweeter I increased the amount of sugar.

Health and Nutrition 
  • The amount of calories from both white bread and whole wheat bread is almost the same. Whole wheat flours contain fibre, a myriad of B vitamins (including thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, etc.), which is important in metabolism and iron which is not present in refined flours. 
  • Whole wheat bread takes longer to digest and converts slower into sugar, so the person can stay fuller and energetic longer.
  • For those who are watching blood sugar levels, whole wheat bread has a lower glycemic index than white bread.
Submitting this to Yeastspotting 

Weekly Story at Colours Dekor





50 comments:

  1. wheat Bread looks so soft and moist.nice and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really helpful recipe..will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find it helpful... you must try it... it's so simple!

      Delete
  3. Alas !! I won't get almond milk here...It looks soft and moist

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deepa, you can make your own almond milk check out this http://flavoursforu.blogspot.in/2012/04/sprouted-almonds-milk.html

      or alternatively you could use soya milk if you are not allergic to soya beans.

      Delete
  4. Looks so soft :) Would love to have it with honey!!

    Participate and win prizes
    The Master Chef Contest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely clicks..Bread looks soft and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your bread looks really tempting. I am salivating here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the aroma definitely is divine!
    I don't follow a particular recipe of bread (as yet...), because I keep trying from different recipes to experiment and see how the end result turns out. Some have been wasted efforts, some success, but the search is still on :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too would love to experiment... hopefully I'll start soon.

      Delete
  8. Bread looks awesome, nice texture..

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..love the texture of the bread,Anisha..Bookmarking as i was in search of a whole wheat version,lovely!!

    Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
    in the following ongoing events-
    Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
    EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie... I'm sure you'll love it.

      Delete
  10. Umm too good,,,perfect for breakfast ,will try ur recipe sometime,,

    ReplyDelete
  11. that a nice presentation you have given for making the bread. the texture of the bread is too good...

    i also make a lot of breads at home, but mostly it is whole wheat bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dassana... i too prefer whole wheat over white bread. :)

      Delete
  12. Healthy n yummy bread... It has come out perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow they came out super prefect, wont mind to have some anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow... bread looks perfect... soft and delicious!! i have never baked a bread before.. will surely try your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amina you should bake your own bread... trust me you will never buy bread again. It is so simple and tastes and smells just awesome.

      Delete
  15. Bread looks so soft and spongy,perfectly baked...
    First time to your space,following you..pls do visit my space when you have time...
    Cheers
    Nalini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nalini... off to your space now!

      Delete
  16. wow, so perfect, soft and delicious bread..bookmarked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Anisha, Good to hear from you after such a long time.The recipe looks yummm...I never knew about this blog before, came only today when I clicked on the comment you left, Thanks for visiting and I guess I will have to follow this one as well,...since this blog looks so tempting too :)

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while, I've been too busy to visit all the blogs I love... I'm trying to catch up as and when possible...Thank you Sharkara for visiting this blog too :)

      Delete
  18. wow! that's a gorgeous loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nags :) I'm so happy to see your comment here... made my day :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Anisha,

    My first time here. I am a newbie in baking and am looking out for a vegan whole wheat bread recipe, glad to find one here. I wud definitely try this out and will let you know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW..This is awesome..Came out very well..Soft and delicious..mmm..Tempting too..A great achievement indeed..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good recipes in your blog and good thing is that your recipes are as per the ingredients available in Indian market. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anisha,

    Which brand yeast works well. I have tried bread couple of times but always noticed that the dough does not rise well. Your bread looks PERFECT. Could you please suggest some good brand of yeast.

    Thanks,
    Sibani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Bakers and Eagle active dry yeast. They are the ones available around here. I got a recommendation from another blogger about "Moripan" She had got it from Bangalore. I was able to get it once. I would prefer moripan over the rest but others work just fine, just make sure you proof them in warm water with sugar before u use it.

      Thanks a ton for the comment. i've been a bit lazy with blogging but comments like this motivate me to keep doing it.

      Delete
  23. Anddddddddddd here it finally is!! :) http://nansyumyums.blogspot.in/2013/03/basic-whole-wheat-bread-brown-bread.html

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...