This was the first bread recipe I ever followed and since then I have baked this bread a lot of times. It was a white bread recipe I just used wheat flour instead. I did not use any extra gluten as I don't have it and don't think it's easily available here. I was surprised to find that it worked without the gluten. I have an endless list of bookmarked bread recipes but I just keeping baking this one over and over again coz it uses just basic stuff which I always have in my pantry.
I do bake white bread with this once in a while; unlike me most of my family and friends prefer unhealthy food. If you want to indulge once in a while feel free to use refined bread flour or maida and you will get double the size of this wheat bread.
Makes 2 loaves
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 2 hours aprox
Baking time: 40 minutes
Ingredients I used:
- 4 cups + 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar (optional)
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 cup Warm water
- 2tsp Active dried yeast
- 1tsp salt
- 3tbsp Vegetable oil or Ghee ( I used Dalda)
1. Take the warm water in a large mixing bowl, add sugar if using and sprinkle yeast over it.
2. Let it sit for 5-7 minutes or till the yeast starts to become frothy.
3. Add 2 cups of flour and mix. I used the hand blender with the dough hook at lowest speed. Add the vegetable oil or ghee and salt.
4. Add almond milk and keep mixing at the lowest speed.
5. Now add 1cup of flour at a time until you use up all 4 cups of flour to form dough.
6. Finally use extra flour to keep the dough from sticking onto your hand and knead for 3-4 minutes to form a smooth ball. Divide the dough into half. Place each half in a lightly oiled bowl to keep it from sticking and cover with a clean damp kitchen towel or cling wrap.
|Half of the dough|
8. After it has doubles in size, punch it down and divide it into three.
9. Place three smooth balls in a greased bread pan.
10. Cover it and let it double in size. It should be done in 45minutes to one hour.
11. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake the bread for 40 minutes. Enjoy the smell of the freshly baked bread, it's divine. Let it cool for 10 minutes and take out the perfect loaf of bread. Use a serrated knife to slice the bread to get perfect slices.
12. Enjoy with some homemade peanut butter.
1. I use almond milk but any milk you like can be used.
2. Vegetable Ghee or Dalda is not recommended as it is hydrogenated oil and not good for health. Use vegetable oil instead.I mentioned it coz that's what used while I was baking it initially, and the picture shows Dalda.
3. If you are refrigerating the dough overnight, make sure you keep it out, to bring it to room temperature and then follow from step 9.
4. Step 9 is totally optional but I just love to see the loaf like that.
5. Adding sugar is optional. I initially baked the bread with just a tbsp of sugar but coz my husband prefers it sweeter I increased the amount of sugar.
Health and Nutrition
- The amount of calories from both white bread and whole wheat bread is almost the same. Whole wheat flours contain fibre, a myriad of B vitamins (including thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, etc.), which is important in metabolism and iron which is not present in refined flours.
- Whole wheat bread takes longer to digest and converts slower into sugar, so the person can stay fuller and energetic longer.
- For those who are watching blood sugar levels, whole wheat bread has a lower glycemic index than white bread.
Weekly Story at Colours Dekor