06 February, 2012

Baked Yoghurt with Cinnamon and Orange Compote


This recipe is from the Good Food Magazine. I'm all for recipes labelled easy in it. I love simple and easy recipes which have just a few ingredients. I made this twice. Once without baking as I didn't have an oven, I just added a little bit of dissolved Agar Agar to make it set (which didn't really set much) and the next time I followed the procedure in the magazine.

Of course I loved it, that is why I made it twice. I could never have imagined mixing curd and condensed milk gave such an awesomely delicious dessert.



Recipe Source: BBC Good Food India, Nov 2011
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 15mins
Serves 3-6

Ingredients I used: 
  • ½ tsp freshly ground Cinnamon 
  • 1 cup Fresh cream
  • 1cup Condensed milk
  • 1cup Yoghurt
  • 2 Oranges 
  • 1 Star anise (few for garnish)
  • 2tbsp Sugar

Procedure:

1. In a bowl, stir together the cinnamon, yoghurt, cream and condensed milk until it attains a consistent texture.


2. Pour the mixture into ramekins and bake for 15 mins at 120 degrees Celsius. Turn off the oven and let it continue to cool in the oven. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

3. Zest one orange; avoid the white pith which gives the bitter taste. Keep it aside.


4. Peel and cut the two oranges.


5. In a sauce pan, add the orange pieces, zest, sugar and star anise. Mix well and simmer for 12-15 minutes until reduced. 


6. Serve warm, spooned over the chilled yoghurt.


7. Enjoy the deliciousness. ;)





Notes:

1. In the non bake version, I'd add more Agar Agar/China Grass to set it. If it doesn't set the orange compote sinks. Like in the picture below...


2. Just the mix of yoghurt, condensed milk, cream and cinnamon tastes great, just in case you are lazy to follow the rest of the procedure.
3. I baked the whole yoghurt mix together and then transferred it to serving bowls as I did not have ramekins or bowls in which I can bake. 

Health and Nutrition: 
  • Yoghurt is low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Zinc, and a very good source of Riboflavin, Calcium and Phosphorus.
  • If the Yoghurt mix is not baked then you get the benefit of the pro-biotic bacteria which helps in digestion.
  • Condensed milk and cream contain all the nutrition of milk but with a lot of extra calories. This yummy dessert is not recommended if you are trying to lose weight. 
 Bake Fest  hosted at Tomato Blues
Kid's Delight hosted by Edible Entertainment

54 comments:

  1. Awesome Recipe..Bookmarked..

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so awesome and yummy... Nice dessert

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pictures are awesome! PInned this and saved to make for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome, had read the recipe in the magazine but now I'll surely try.

    FOODELICIOUS

    FEBRUARY EVENT, ‘ONLY’- OATS & GIVEAWAYS

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...very new to me....lovely clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous baking yogurt n nice flavors,Anisha!!tempting clicks too..

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very inviting and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... this looks amazing... looks so delicious... will surely give this a try...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baked Yogurt tops my list on baking these days and you have given me such a brilliant push with this fantabulous recipe...thanks girlie!! :)
    The pics are just too beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. never heard of baked yogurt, sounds & looks delecious. also i LOVE ur serving cups.. they are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I saw your post in Bake Fest #4. This looks very tasty.
    All the best...
    Ayse

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks very innovative and yummy .........

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, absolutely wonderful looking dish. I was hunting for compote recipe and here it is ..looks perfect, am glad to have found this space, following u now

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never heard this dish. looks mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i didn't know you had a food blog! jus landed here and loved the recipe and amazing clicks :).. Happily following u now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this compote looks yummy...love your photographs...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The clicks are so lovely and the dish looks so delicate and enticing. Looks lovely.. great post. Loved it..!Do link it up to my event too dear. Would be an honor..!

    My event- Valentines Day Special

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks fabulous wonderfully done

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your cliks... looks wonderfully dear.......

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome Recipe Dear.Yummy clicks 2

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow!!Looks so delicious.& nice captures.... Thanks for sharing
    Midweek Fiesta

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow..that's so yum recipe...bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks absolutely delicious...Happy to follow you dear...

    ReplyDelete
  24. need to try this one soon....nice clicks dear....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woaah! such a great idea! I had no idea you could bake yogurt like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh lovely! I love yogurt based recipes.. and you've made this look stunning!! I've marked it.. and will surely try this.. I'm now following you and am hoping to be inspired.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the idea of this yummy and healthy dessert,beautiful presentation. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Baked yogurt ...wow simply delicious....perfect for valentines day :-)

    Http://Onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow...i want to dig into the cup...so tempting.
    Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so new to me! Looks very tempting.. lovely presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  31. http://corpusmoney.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Star Anise is optional right..? Where to get it..sorry I don’t know much about cooking

    Love
    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com
    Catch me on FB :)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/MeghaSarin/276091209123944

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star anise is optional for decoration but you'll need at least one to flavour the compote. You can find it in any Asian or Indian store, it is a common spice.

      Delete
  33. I loved this recipe....hmm can almost smell the orange flavour...will def try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. first time ...glad to follow you ...very yummy and perfect made ...visit my blog
    www.sriyafood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Super delicious ..I Love baked yogurt!! Had been wanting to make it for so long but i couldn't find ramekins anywhere near. :(

    ReplyDelete
  36. first time ...happy to follow you. Yogurt looks fabulous and yummy. Great job.

    Cuisine Delights
    My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Lunchbox Ideas".

    ReplyDelete
  37. love baked yogurt. this looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  38. wow yummy and delicious ......

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks so yummy! I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice clicks,

    Thanks for visit my space

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG ! why this tempting me sooooooo much ???

    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Okay, first I've never baked any dessert with yogurt.
    Second, this looks GOOD!
    Something like a custard, is it? I'm intrigued.
    It seemed to have set well without agar agar or even corn flour! I've gotta try this someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time too... I had never baked yoghurt infact the idea seemed absurd to me. That's why I had to give it a try, it is kind of like custard. It sets after baking. Kind of wobbly in the center but sets completely on refrigeration.

      Delete
  43. I have been browsing online more than 4 hours today, yet
    I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It's pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    My blog :: benefits of cinnamon for diabetics

    ReplyDelete
  44. lovely but is there a vegan way??

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...