02 January, 2012

Potato Wedges with Tomato Capsicum Sauce

Who doesn't love potatoes? Well, I know quite a few people who don't but I'm glad my husband is not one of them. This is one of our favourite dishes. It is a simple and easy dish to put together which tastes great. I had this recipe written down ages ago in one of my recipe diaries. I had the habit of writing down recipes that I found interesting but I rarely trying them out. With the internet recipes, it is so much easier to bookmark and forget. ;)

I can mess up a really easy recipe. The number of great stuff I've dished out can be equally weighed out by the number of disasters I've created in the kitchen. This one is kind of no fail, if you get your potatoes crispy on the outside and mushy inside. It is bound to be a big hit amongst all potato fans out there.



Serves 2-3
Preparation Time: 15mins
Cooking time: 30mins

Ingredients:
  • 2large Potatoes
  • 1large Onion
  • 2medium sized Tomatoes
  • 1small Capsicum
  • 2tsp Soya sauce
  • ½tsp Sugar  
  • 1tsp Crushed Garlic
  • 1tsp Red Chilly powder
  • 2tbsp Sesame oil 
  • Oil for deep frying
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander leaves for garnish

Procedure:

1. Peel and chop the potatoes into wedges. Cook the potatoes with water in a microwave or in an open pan till 70% cooked.


 2. Deep fry the potatoes till golden brown.


3. Chop onion, capsicum and tomatoes and keep it aside.


4. Fry garlic and onion till golden brown.


5. Add red chilly powder and stir fry for 30 seconds. Then add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are mushy.


6. Add soya sauce and sugar. Cook on high heat for one minute stirring continuously. Lower the heat and add capsicum and salt. Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes.


7. Spoon the sauce over the potato wedges and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve warm.


Notes:

1. Potatoes can be shallow fried or even baked in the oven instead of cooking and deep frying.
2. You could use brown sugar, if available instead of regular white sugar. It will enhance the taste of the sauce.
3. The use of sesame oil for the sauce is important as the oil imparts a nutty flavour.
4. You could add salt while cooking the potatoes in the first step but it is not really needed unless you are particular about having salt in everything.
5. I feel these pictures don't do justice to this awesome dish, but since I keep making it often I'll update it with a better picture later when my photography skills improve.

Health and Nutrition:
  • Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates. They are low in cholesterol too.
  • Tomatoes are low in Sodium and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Potassium and Manganese. 
I'm sending this to Kid's delight  hosted by Veg Junction
Kids Delight

30 comments:

  1. droolworthy and yummilicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super tempting dish tempts me a lot,mouthwatering here..wishing you and your family happy new year 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome n flavorful..never tried poato wedges with these kind of sauces,will try now..

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply mouthwatering potato wedges.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lip smacking dish,pics are driving me crazy..Potato wedges with a sauce,never tried the combo...Must be delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall try this one soon. Really superb pics and lovely step by step narration. Looks yummy.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely recipe and I love the step by step method shown. Absolutely yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome recipe..sharikum kothivarunnu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. delicious ,perfect and with a twist:)
    nice potato wedges...

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! those wedges look so crispy & golden... nice idea too, that sauce on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anisha, this sounds like a really tastey recipe and I am going to try it. I was about to ask if you could oven cook the potatoes and then saw that they could be, something like roasted potatoes. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi girl, I tried the Nutella pudding from your blog. It was awesome. I love potato anytime. This looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very flavorful and delicious. A definite must try..!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luks Delish and the sauce is mouthwatering.Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. droolworthy dish. will try this with oven roasted potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have an award for you at my place. Do collect it dear..!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome recipe... looks so delicious... fantastic clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish it was not this early in the morning here...this recipe is too yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so delicious!!This is going to be a featured post today,so don't forget to join to Midweek fiesta today!!I cant wait until I see what you bring to the party today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy. Glad to be featured. I'll link in for this week too..

      Delete
  20. A simple recipe , presented so invitingly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. mouthwatering........ looks crispy and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great dish,Happy to follow ur blog.Do visit my blog.spicenflavors.com

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...