Mummy made these laddus during Makar Sankranti. All I did was take pictures while trying hard not to eat them all up. I love this set up, where my mum is doing all the cooking and I just tail her around with the camera and bug her to take exact measurements for my blog posts. We had plans to make different versions of Til ke laddu but couldn't due to the lack of time, so it's on my to-do list when I go back home next time.
Recipe Source: Mummy
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 3-4 minutes
Makes 20 large laddus
- 2cups Black Sesame seeds
- 2cups Jaggery
- 2cups Grated Coconut
- Few Cashew nuts for garnish
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds in a pan. Remove it from the hot pan and let it cool.
2. Take the sesame seeds in a grinders jar and pulse it once or twice. Keep it aside.
3. Grind coconut and jaggery.
4. Add the coconut and jaggery mixture to the ground sesame seeds. Mix well and roll into balls.
5. Garnish with cashew nuts.
1. It is a good idea to wash and sun dry the sesame seeds once. I was surprised to find so much dirt on it. Mum always washes and stores all this.
2. Do not grind the sesame into paste; just grind it for like 15-20 seconds.
3. While rolling them into balls it might get sticky and messy, you might want to use your gloves.
4. This has short shelf life. It lasted for a week without refrigeration but again it was winters. I couldn't save them to do my shelf life experiment.
Health and Nutrition:
- Sesame seeds are a good source of Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus and a very good source of Copper and Manganese. They are high in energy and contain many health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for wellness.
- Jaggery, also known as medicinal sugar as it contains sucrose and glucose and a good amount of vitamins and minerals. It contains good amounts of Magnesium which helps to relax muscles and provides relief from fatigue. It is also a good source of Potassium with low amounts of sodium which helps control blood pressure and reduces water retention.
- Overall a very healthy and guilt free snack.
|Anyone can cook|
|Valentines Day Special|
|Just 4 Fun|