A friend recommended this recipe when I told her that I can't find a good Eggless cake recipe. I baked this for Christmas and everyone loved it. It is really an amazing Eggless cake with a really good texture. It tastes delicious with pineapple pieces steeped in caramelized sauce.
Adapted from Nestle Recipes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time - 40 minutes
For Pineapple layer
- 6 Pineapple Slices
- 1/2cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4cup (5tbsp) Butter
For Pineapple cake
- 1/2 cup (100gms) Butter
- 1can (400gms) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2cups All purpose flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Soda Bicarbonate
- 1 cup Aerated water (drinking soda)
- ½ tsp Pineapple Essence
- Red Cherries (see notes)
1. Peel and chop the pineapples into rounds pieces. Remove the centre of the pineapple with the pointed end of the knife. Make sure to get at least one full circle intact to place in the centre. (I've done this a few times and have become an expert now. :))
2. Grease a 9 inch round baking dish and layer the pineapple slices as shown. You can be creative, use your imagination and make the best use of the slices that you have. Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
3. Melt the dark brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan over medium low heat. This sauce is really tasty, try to resist the temptation to lick it off the spoon.
4. Spoon the sauce over the pineapple slices in the baking dish and keep it aside. (This picture is with the sauce made of Dermera sugar, good substitute for dark brown sugar but not awesome).
5. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda into a separate bowl and keep it aside.
6. In a mixing bowl mix the butter, sweetened condensed milk and pineapple essence.
7. Add 1/4 cup flour followed by 1/4 cup aerated water and mix well. Continue this till all the flour and aerated water is used up. Immediately pour the batter over the pineapple slices in the baking dish and bake for 40 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
8. Invert the baking dish after 3-4 minutes of removing it from the oven. Do not wait for it to cool down as the sauce will harden making it impossible to remove the whole cake intact.
9. Garnish with Cherries, slice and enjoy the delicious cake. You can also serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
1. You can use canned pineapples instead of fresh; this will reduce the preparation time too.
2. For the sauce, dark brown sugar can be replaced by Dermera sugar.
3. If you do not have brown sugar, just use regular white sugar and caramelize by heating it with 3tbsp water, and avoid adding butter.
4. I have tried the above two options and have found that dark brown sugar gives the best flavour.
5. It is important to use the batter right away, if allowed to stand; the lightness of the cake is affected. (I've experimented with this too. The size of the cake reduces as the batter is allowed to stand before baking).
6. It is recommended that you remove the cake from the baking dish as soon as you take it out of the Oven, however I figured it is best to let it stand for 3-4 minutes and then take it out of the baking dish, as I once got all the pineapple stuck to the base and the cake came off but ensure you don't let it stand for more than 5 minutes or else the sugar will harden.
7. I did not garnish it with cherries, as I did not have them. I highly recommend garnishing with cherries.
8. You can add ¼ cup pineapple juice, if you don't have pineapple essence. Just reduce the amount of aerated soda to ¾cup.
9. I used a 6 inch baking dish instead of 9 inch (I do not have 9 inch round baking dish). I used the rest of the batter for cupcakes.
10. I think we can use different fruits and flavours too. I am looking forward to trying it with apple and pears. If you try before I do, please let me know how it turned out.
Health and Nutrition:
- Not much of nutrition but a lot of calories.
Sending this to Bake with your heart,
|Jingle all the way|
|Only Cookies and Cakes|
Kid's delight hosted by Veg Junction